Casting New Charts
First, you need to launch AstroApp
- Go to http://astroapp.com and log in.
- Click the 'Launch AstroApp' button (it can be found on the Home page
at the right side).
- AstroApp will appear in a new window. Depending on your browser
configuration, you may be prompted for your username and password in
To open the 'New Chart
' window select Charts/New
All new charts and all modifications done to existing charts will be saved
Creating a new chart
- Select the first chart by either clicking on the list of the Recent
Charts or by selecting
the corresponding tab in the main pane.
- Open a chart or create a new
Editing a chart / Working
with the Chart form
You can invoke the Edit Chart window from the File/Edit
menu and from File/Open
- Make sure the chart you want to edit is currently selected in the File/Open table or in the main
- Select the File/Edit menu
option. The Chart Edit window
- Enter the following information (you can always use the Tab key to
move forward to the next field):
- Name. This is a required field.
- Date. This is a required field. Please note that the date format
can be changed from the Settings/Settings
menu option (from the Localization
- Time. This is a required field. Time format can also be changed
from the Settings/Settings menu.
- Country. This is a required field. Please make sure to select the
country prior to looking for the City.
- Location information: latitude, longitude, and time zone. All
these fields are required. You can enter that information manually
or search for the location.
- There are two ways to search for the location:
There are also three ways to specify the time zone information:
- You can enter the City name (full or partial) and click on the
"..." button next to the City
text box. Note: city name
must be entered without state, province or any other additional
- Alternatively, you can use the Map
tab and search for the location using the World Map.
- In the Map tab, start typing the address
or place name. The auto-complete dropdown with matching places
- Use your keyboard arrow keys to scroll this list up and
- Use the Enter key to select the required place/location. Note:
some browsers will also allow you to use your mouse for
selecting locations from the list.
- Once the place is selected, the red marker and details
window will appear on the Map. Click on the
red marker to select this location and to populate coordinates
and time zone details.
- You can rely on the system to provide the Time Zone based on
- You can search for any available time zone by entering the
Time Zone name and clicking the "..."
button next to the Time Zone field.
will open a new dialog box with the list of time zones that
match your search criteria.
- Alternatively, you can specify your own time offset in the
following format: +/- hh:mm:ss (seconds are optional). Some
examples of the valid values are:
- +01:00 - this entry will also add 1 hour to the birth time.
- -00:30:00 - this will subtract 30 minutes from the birth
- -0:45:20 - this entry will subtract 45 minutes and 20
seconds from the original birth time.
entering a custom value for the time
zone would mean that this value will always be used in all the derived
charts and any historical time zone changes
such as DST will
- Type. This field is optional. You can specify the Type for your
chart by selecting from one of the following values:
- Coordinate System (Geocentric, Heliocentric, or Topocentric).
- House System.
- Zodiac. To calculate the chart in Western zodiac without Ayanamsa,
select the Tropical Zodiac option. To calculate the chart in
Sidereal zodiac, select one of the available Ayanamsa
- Height. This field is used to specify elevation above sea level in
meters. When searching for locations using the Cities
dialog box or the Atlas,
this field will be populated automatically.
- Source. The values are based on the Rodden Ratings System. This is
a classification system proposed by Lois
- Tag and Description. These fields are optional. You can enter any
- After filling out the form, click the Update
button to update the currently selected chart or click the Add New button to cast a new
chart. The new chart will be generated and presented in the main
Clicking the Restore
button will reset all the values in this form back to
User Defaults. The date and time will be reset to your current date and
time in your local time zone.
Creating derived charts
- Open or create the 2nd chart. You can also use derived charts such
as Returns or Progressions.
- Expand the View menu and select the BiWheel menu
option. The table with all the charts calculated during your current
session will open.
- Select the second chart from the table. The BiWheel chart will be
shown in the main pane.